Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Burgess Laser introduction

Talk about anything Firefly related...

Burgess Laser introduction

Postby FengLe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Hello all, my name is Steven. I'm from New Jersey, near Philadelphia PA, USA. I'm the guy who had the high bid for the Burgess laser at the Profiles in History auction on July 1, 2016. I thought I would come here, say hi, and tell you a little about myself and the laser.
As a Joss Whedon fan from Buffy and Angel, I had to checkout Firefly. I started watching Firefly when Train Job was first aired by Fox on day one. I was hooked from the start. Then Fox did what Fox did (we won't talk about it here), then I got the DVDs, then the movie came out, then Blu-Rays, conventions, toys, games, and then the fateful day in June when I found the listing on ebay for the Burgess laser and the Lassiter. I had heard of Profiles in History so I knew their reputation was solid. I started doing some more research and found this site. I read a lot of the postings from Badger and others who had a ton of great information to share. Thank you all. So I made up my mind I had to have one (or both) of the guns.
I contacted Profiles in History and registered to be a phone bidder. On the day of the auction, they called me a few minutes before the Lassiter came up for bid. One of the Profiles people talked to me about the bidding and placed my bids for me while on the phone. There were a few absentee bids that were quickly outbid, I bid $5500, an internet bidder hit for $6000, and that was my limit for how high I would bid. The internet bidder won the Lassiter. FYI, the buyers premium for internet bidding was 28%.
The next item up was the Burgess laser. Again there was an absentee bid and internet bidders. The internet bids went to $4000, my next bid was $4250. There was no raise so I won the bid. As a phone bidder and not paying by credit card, I only paid a 20% buyer premium.
So now the laser is in my hands. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen. OMG this thing is awesome. It is very well made from machined aluminum, screwed together with precisely fit pieces. Yes the 'Check Battery' tube is missing. I will be looking into having that replaced. I think I saw a thread here about doing that. If anyone has more information to help me with that, I would appreciate it. There is a side door to the laser that springs open when you pull the ring that looks like a trigger. The open door has amber LEDs inside the compartment. There are two mini compact disks that fit inside the door (one at a time), but I don't think they actually have a function. There are red and blue LEDs on the outside of the door that spin when the door is closed. The LEDs change to green when the door is open. There are two rows of red LEDs on the top of the gun barrel that chase back to front activated by a little switch on the back of the side tube. Pressing the large silver thumb release on the top rear will cause the twin laser barrels to slide forward and light up. The more I play with this the cooler it gets. It all runs on a couple of AAA batteries. While Mal says the gun is lighter than it looks, I have to say it is heavier than expected. It's all metal, not plastic. And the whole thing comes in a foam fitted hard shell case. Shiny.
Here a few pictures of the laser. If anyone has questions or wants another picture, I can try to help. I look forward to chatting with you and becoming a part of the group. Thanks for reading my long winded posting.
Attachments
DSD_2482.jpg
DSD_2489.jpg
DSD_2487.jpg
DSD_2486.jpg
DSD_2484.jpg
FengLe, from the Mandarin fēng le meaning "crazy, loopy in the head", as spoken by Janye in Bushwhacked, as translated in the Firefly Gorramn Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse.
FengLe
Reaver

Re: Burgess Laser introduction

Postby propmaster2000 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi Steven (FengLe),
I am glad you found your way here.
I too am a fan of Firefly (since the very beginning) as well as Serenity.

It is nice to see that, that particular prop found a good home :)
The real deal.

propmaster2000

Last edited by propmaster2000 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
propmaster2000
Blue Hand guy

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing them.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing them.

I'll second that!
Firefly prop collectors are a very small group any more.
(As compared to the post BDM Serenity period when EVERYBODY wanted Firefly stuff.)
I think this is a great group that all works to ensure the survival of the hobby with the info and help we share.

So, thanks for introducing yourself,
Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby dsears30 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 pm

I agree, great buy and yes I was one of the other bidders, Congrats.
I will check to see if I have the email and information I obtained about the check battery tube. As I had questioned them about it and getting one made.
There I sent you a PM with all the information I had on it and an email contact for getting the check battery tube
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 am

Fengle,
Hello and welcome.

As someone who has had this very piece in the collection in the past (a whole other story), I would urge you to contact Modern Props. They are the company which made the prop and rented it to Firefly.
You may or may not be aware that there are in fact four of these, all hero props. They were not made especially for Firefly. Only one was rented to Firefly.
If I were you, I would contact the company and ask that you are supplied copies of the rental sheets, showing the rental stock number (engraved on the base of the prop), to prove this is the actual prop rented to the production and not one of the other three.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby dsears30 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Wow four of them? That's very interesting news, never knew that and good call on the rental sheet. Now if we could find the other 3
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 am

The other three are at Modern Props in LA.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby FengLe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Here is link to Modern Props webpage for the laser. They say 3 are available for rental, $315 per week. You can browse their website for all kinds of props. Some items I recognize from other movies or TV. It's a fun way to waste an hour or so of your day doing nothing.

Edit: search their website for item 120-2210
http://www.modernprops.com
Last edited by FengLe on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FengLe, from the Mandarin fēng le meaning "crazy, loopy in the head", as spoken by Janye in Bushwhacked, as translated in the Firefly Gorramn Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse.
FengLe
Reaver

Postby ssdesigner » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:11 pm

For $315 someone could rent it and model it in 3D.
ssdesigner
Blue Hand guy

Next

Return to Firefly Talk